How are we already a week into 2019!? After taking some time off from the blog and social media around the holidays, we are back in action.
This post might contain affiliate links.
2018 was a great year and the next year looks just as promising – I already have a few trips planned out, I’ve set goals that I’m excited about achieving, and I’m ready to get my shit together (but can you ever have it alllll together!?). In the meantime, I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorite moments of 2018, including my favorite blog posts, purchases, and products! Don’t worry, I won’t share too many, I know you guys have more important things to be doing, including catching up on last nights episode of The Bachelor! Will they ever cut any of the nonsense viewing party bologna out!
Nowwwww, if you’re a real winner and make it to the end of this post (you deserve a slice of cake if you do!!!), I also thought it would be fun to share my 2019 goals and why I decided to set the goal. Accountability, am I righhhhtttttt???! I’d love to hear YOUR wins (& losses!) of 2018 and your 2019 goals so we can pat each other on the back and send out all of the positive vibes for 2019, so be sure to leave those in the comments as well!
Took a Few Trips
After I graduated college, I promised myself I’d take a trip to somewhere new at least twice a year and I’ve done a pretty good job at holding myself to that goal. This past year I went to Nashville for a girls trip, took my brother and his girlfriend to Montreal for their spring break, and headed to Chicago to see Hamilton! Not too bad if I do say so myself.
Got a Promotion
I don’t talk about my 9-5 very often on the blog or on social media, but it is something I’m working on and trying to get better at because let’s face it – we’re all nosy AF.
I’ve been at my current job for just about two years and it’s been awesome. My coworkers are awesome, I’ve learned so much, and I’ve grown as a person so when I was promoted into a supervisor position this past fall you can only imagine how psyched I was. I’m excited for 2019 and to see how I grow within the digital marketing industry.
Watched My Brother Graduate
Where are my other older siblings at!? My brother and I are six years apart which means I very clearly remember the day he was born, experiencing all of his big milestones (walking for the first time, his first day at kindergarten, etc.) and have always been very emotional about him, especially as I’ve gotten older. I’m not even kidding, I cried three times during his confirmation. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!? Anyways, the kiddo graduated high school this past spring and started college in September and holy am I proud of him. Watching him make the decisions that are shaping his future is so awesome.
Fell in Love
Que the *awwwwwes*
This past year has been a big one for me in the relationship department. After a little persuasion from my friends, I took the leap and signed up for a few dating apps. I figured I’d go on a few dates – meet some cool (and not so cool…) people and have a few drinks. I ended up meeting Chris last January and everything else is history.
I was planning on writing something sappy (because he’s the best and I love him so much!!!) but turns out that thinking about how much you love someone can make you tear up and I just put mascara on – so that’s not an option. I’m excited to see what 2019 brings our way and to spend more time laughing, growing, and loving together.
[one_half padding=”0 5px 0 0″]
[one_half_last padding=”0 0 0 5px”]
[one_half padding=”0 5px 0 0″]
[/one_half][one_half_last padding=”0 0 0 5px”]
- Away Luggage – I have been dying to get nice luggage for years and before my trip to Nashville, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the bigger carry on and I have to be honest – I’ve never been so obsessed with a piece of luggage before in my life. If you’ve been debating ordering an Away suitcase of your own, I 100% support the decision.
- J. Crew Daphne Topcoat – At first I was very hesitant about this coat but after having it for a few months, I absolutely love it and am constantly reaching for it on the days that the temperature is mild. I do have to say though – if you’re thinking about getting this coat to wear throughout the winter in the Northeast, I would opt for something heavier, like the cocoon coat or winter parka. I would also suggest purchasing it while it’s on sale. Even though I do love it, I don’t think it’s worth the full price ($228!) – I ordered mine when it was on sale and paid around $105. (Also here)
- Vince Camuto Thelmin Bootie – Talk about a sexy shoe! The Thelmin bootie comes in a few different colors, is comfy, and has a distinct heel that I promise will be a conversation started. I love pairing mine with denim for the winter but they also look super cute with dresses!
- Kevin Murphy Heated Defense – I’ve been using this heat protectant for about two months now and I’m OBSESSED. It is a little pricey, but I think it’s well worth it. With a mouse-like consistency, it doesn’t weigh down my hair or leave it feeling oily and it smells like freakin’ sandalwood so I’m in heaven every time I dry my hair. I’ve also noticed that my hair is looking and feeling healthier! That’s a win-win if you ask me.
- TULA Purifying Cleanser – I never understood the hype around the TULA products but after ordering a few to test out, I totally get it. My skin has never looked or felt so good in my life.
- Charlotte Tilbury Liptick – Have you guys tried any of the Charlotte Tilbury lipsticks yet?! I am so obssessed and the matte version isn’t drying!
- Travel More. I already have three trips planned for the first half of 2019 but there are a handful of other places I’m itching to visit this year. I’m thinking a bigger trip at the end of 2019 and a handful of weekend trips sprinkled throughout the year.
- Read 12 books. There are two versions of bookworm Rachel: the one that reads constantly and the one that doesn’t read for a few weeks and gets out of the habit of it, only to find that six months have gone by and I haven’t picked up a single book. I’ve been on a reading kick lately and have already made a good dent in my winter reading list but there’s always room for improvement, right? I’m hoping to read 12 books in 2019. One book per month. I can do it.
- De-freakin-clutter. One of the blessings of living in a small space is that I have to be creative with the space that I have aka I need to be wise about the purchase I make. I try to do a purge two to theee times per year and recently purged my closet, but now that the holidays are over, I am ready to declutter my space and get organized!
- Be more consistent. This one is a little more broad and applies to different aspects of my life. Originally I told myself I’d be more consistent with publishing blog posts and posting to social media but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I need to be more consistent in my personal life, too. Be more consistent with routine. Be more consistent with the gym. Be more consistent at work. I’ve noticed that when life gets hectic, everything falls around me, sending me into an axious, stressed state. Not good for me, not good for my friends and family, not good for my coworkers. I need to work on setting a routine and staying with it. Wish my luck, God knows I need it.
- Put my health first. 2018 was the year that I did not treat my body with the respect it deserves. I ate a lot, I drank a lot, and I didn’t exercise as much as I should have. I know that a lot of people make it their resolution to get fit and exercise more and I’m not trying to do anything drastic. OKAY – so I wouldn’t complain if I could lose 20 pounds, but still. I want to be able to say “I treat my body with the respect is deserves” and get moving moreso than I did in the last year.
- Get my finances in order. Is it just me or have you guys been very loosey goosey with your finances as of late? I used to be SO good about budgeting (and sticking to it) and knowing where my money was going but I feel like I’ve just been winging it the last couple of months. This year I want to hold myself accountable and get my finances in order, pay off my credit cards, and not feel like my bills are putting a damper on my social life. I recently picked up The Financial Diet and I’m so excited to start reading it. Have you read it yet or have another personal finance book you swear by? Let me know in the comments!
What were your 2018 highlights? Have you set 2019 goals yet?
SHOP THE POST
MADEWELL CENTRAL DRAPEY SHIRT IN BLACK / MADEWELL 10″ HIGH-WAIST SKINNY JEAN IN LUCILLE WASH / J. CREW DAPHNE COAT IN OLIVE (ALSO HERE) / J. CREW FACTORY ZOE CALF HAIR D’ORSAY FLATS IN LEOPARD / MADEWELL MEDIUM TRANSPORT TOTE IN ENGLISH SADDLE / RAY-BAN ORIGINAL AVIATOR IN GOLD / OPI NAIL POLISH IN GOT THE BLUES FOR RED